PDA

View Full Version : Does OHIP cover medical insurance in US?

Canadian
06-12-2008, 09:31 PM
I'll be traveling to US for a short vacation in July and I was wondering do I need a travel insurance (medical) or am I covered by OHIP while on vacation in US?

BankAdmin
06-13-2008, 02:05 PM
There are some restrictions if you travel outside of Canada or even Ontario (don't forget that OHIP is Ontario Health Insurance Plan). The Ministry of Health and Long-term Care recommends getting private health insurance when traveling, because health services in other countries like US usually cost much more than the OHIP will cover.

dreamy
06-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Yes I will definitely recommend you to have insurance. OHIP covers up to $400.00 per day. If an emergency occurs and you have to go to a hospital you need to have insurance.

Canadian
06-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys,

I'll get an insurance then. Can you recommend a good Canadian insurance company for travel insurance? What company do you buy your travel insurance from?

trent
07-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Manulife Canada is not a bad choice for travel insurance. I've actually had to use my travel insurance for medical expenses abroad (I paid with credit card) and they reimbursed me promptly.

Canadian
07-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks Trent, I'll check Manulife out. How much would I expect to pay for a travel insurance for 2 weeks for one person?

Ranana_veitty
07-02-2009, 02:23 PM
My employer gives me medical cover under a group insurance scheme. The insurer reimbursed a claim for an expense of Rs 2,00,000 incurred by me for my fathers surgery. Will I have to pay tax on the money received?

Jason
07-06-2009, 08:48 PM
My employer gives me medical cover under a group insurance scheme. The insurer reimbursed a claim for an expense of Rs 2,00,000 incurred by me for my fathers surgery. Will I have to pay tax on the money received?

What does this have to do with OHIP?!?

michael86
09-12-2009, 03:24 AM
There are some restrictions if you travel outside of Canada or even Ontario (don't forget that OHIP is Ontario Health Insurance Plan). The Ministry of Health and Long-term Care recommends getting private health insurance when traveling, because health services in other countries like US usually cost much more than the OHIP will cover.

thanks 4 info..
i never know before this!:)