PDA

View Full Version : mortgage renewal - fixed or variable rate

investor
12-03-2008, 01:51 PM
For all of you who are up for renewal of their mortgages - did you find any deals? For what period can you lock on low interest rate? Please give me some details, I am up for renewal - also fixed or variable rate mortgage, how to choose?

trent
12-03-2008, 03:41 PM
If I were you I would get the longest fixed term I can get. The interest rates are just too low right now, but this won't continue much longer with all the money printed by governments around the world. I expect to see much higher inflation in the coming years.

Steven
12-04-2008, 01:59 PM
With the variable mortgage rate you usually have the option to switch to fixed rate, so I guess it's OK to go with variable and if the rates start to increase then lock in a fixed rate.

Canadian
12-05-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm with Trent on this one, and I would choose to lock for longer period on a fixed rate. This way is easier to manage your cash flow and you avoid risk of spike in interest rates.

sunshine
12-09-2008, 01:56 PM
I agree, Fixed term for the life of the mortgage. I don't think you can get that in Canada but get the longest fixed term possible. And why exactly we can't get fixed rate for the life of the mortgage, does anybody know? I think in US they can.

lanaa
12-10-2008, 07:33 PM
I am not much of a financial guru but I think fixed rate is the way to go. I agree with the previous posters.

investor
12-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks all. I think I will go with the fixed rate. I'll try to lock for at least 7 years. Will keep you posted if it will work out.

Jason
12-18-2008, 01:15 PM
It looks like low interest rates are here to stay for a while. Look what the Fed did, they lowered the interest to a 0%-0.25% range. This is like money is free.