PDA

View Full Version : Interest rates and Bank of Canada

trent
01-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Everybody expects the Bank of Canada to make another substantial interest rate cut tomorrow. However our Canadian banks might not pass the cuts along to their customers.

How big do you think the cut will be? Do you think that the banks will pass the lower rates to Canadian borrowers?

Canadian
01-20-2009, 02:49 PM
The Bank of Canada cut the overnight rate by 0.5% to one per cent, which is the lowest level ever! So now the rate stands at 1% and the Canadian central bank doesn't have much room for cuts anymore. I wonder what would they do when it's clear that the low interest rates cannot entice more borrowing from the over-indebted Canadians?

Steven
01-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Well, the Bank of Canada still can take the rates down to 0% as the Federal Reserve did, but after that they won't have much else to do.

Canadian
01-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Well, the Bank of Canada still can take the rates down to 0% as the Federal Reserve did, but after that they won't have much else to do.

As I already said in another post, even if they lower the rates to 0%, there won't be many borrowers out there.

trent
01-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Interest rates are bound to go up significantly once the majority realizes that all the money printing will ultimately result in much higher inflation. Forget deflation (except for asset classes like real estate), it will be inflation all the way.

Canadian
01-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Now is a good time for homeowners with mortgages to refinance and lock in these low interest rates for as long as possible. If I had a mortgage, I would do that right away.

bullish
01-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Now is a good time for homeowners with mortgages to refinance and lock in these low interest rates for as long as possible. If I had a mortgage, I would do that right away.

No rush to do this, as interest rates will stay low for many years.

Steven
02-09-2009, 03:19 PM
No rush to do this, as interest rates will stay low for many years.

I hope they stay low, or we all will be in big trouble.