PDA

View Full Version : Carney expects economic recovery in 2010

Canadian
02-10-2009, 09:10 PM
The Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney forecasted an economic recovery for Canada in 2010. I personally don't see this happening, and I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

Please let me know what you think?

trent
02-11-2009, 03:53 PM
The Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney forecasted an economic recovery for Canada in 2010. I personally don't see this happening, and I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

Please let me know what you think?

Yeah, sure and I expect Santa Claus to bring me more presents this Spring :p

bullish
02-12-2009, 01:29 PM
The Canadian economic recovery can start even earlier in my opinion, I'm guessing around fall this year. Canada has strong economic fundamentals, and we'll get through this minor recession very soon.

trent
02-12-2009, 01:40 PM
The Canadian economic recovery can start even earlier in my opinion, I'm guessing around fall this year. Canada has strong economic fundamentals, and we'll get through this minor recession very soon.

Sure, we can start the economic recovery even now, why not? If we wish it strong enough it will simply happen, right?

By the fall Canadian real estate will be down another 10-15% on average, and there will be 100s of thousands jobs lost. Both these factors will crash consumer spending (largely on credit), because consumer without confidence will quickly turn into a saver. When consumers stop spending, they'll also stop borrowing, which will affect Canadian banks very negatively. The falling housing value will also put immense pressure on the banks and it's not clear if the big banks can stay solvent in this environment. All this points to imminent economic recovery, as I'm sure you understand :p

sunshine
02-13-2009, 03:27 PM
By the fall Canadian real estate will be down another 10-15% on average, and there will be 100s of thousands jobs lost. Both these factors will crash consumer spending (largely on credit), because consumer without confidence will quickly turn into a saver. When consumers stop spending, they'll also stop borrowing, which will affect Canadian banks very negatively. The falling housing value will also put immense pressure on the banks and it's not clear if the big banks can stay solvent in this environment. All this points to imminent economic recovery, as I'm sure you understand :p

I'm very inclined to agree with you. Sadly I can't say anything optimistic although I always try to look on the bright side of things... :o

trent
02-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm very inclined to agree with you. Sadly I can't say anything optimistic although I always try to look on the bright side of things... :o

There is always a bull market somewhere, it's just not in stocks and real estate anymore ;).

Canadian
02-19-2009, 03:17 PM
There is always a bull market somewhere, it's just not in stocks and real estate anymore ;).

Where do you think there is a bull market now?

trent
02-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Where do you think there is a bull market now?

Gold and silver.

bullish
02-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Gold is the biggest bubble of all, and it will crash very soon. You better get out while you can.

Canadian
02-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Gold is the biggest bubble of all, and it will crash very soon. You better get out while you can.

I wouldn't say that there is a gold bubble, at least not yet, but with all the bailouts and irresponsible money printing we might have one pretty soon.