PDA

View Full Version : Scotia Bank Visa

imaddicted2u
08-16-2009, 02:34 AM
My step daughter has a Scotia bank visa card. She has been making payments that were more than the required minimum payments. Recently Scotia bank visa withdrew a large sum of funds from her Scotia bank savings account. This caused her rent cheque to bounce. She plans her money in the bank account and normally she would not have bounced a cheque. She now has to pay her landlord nsf charges as well as the bank. She was in contact with the bank and was told "visa was trying to get your attention"
My question is: do they have the right to access her bank account without prior consent?

trent
08-18-2009, 02:36 PM
This has never happened to me, and I believe this shouldn't happen to anybody unless the bank was authorized by the account holder to do that.

Check this government site for more information:

http://www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/eng/consumers/default.asp

Canadian
08-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Did she ask if Scotiabank had the legal right to withdraw the funds? I've had really bad experience with Scotiabank and I think this is the lousiest Canadian bank although there is a lot of competition there :).

MollyGroove
08-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Hmmm... I don't see how they can do that as long as she was making the minimum payments required, and you said she was making more than that. They once took an ex's entire paycheck from his bank account, but he wasn't making the payments on his credit card like he was supposed to. You said she talked to her bank - has she talked to her credit card company? There may be discrepancy somewhere on her part or theirs.