PDA

View Full Version : American Express credit card

dreamy
07-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Do you have American Express credit card? Is it much different than Visa and MasterCard? Is it easy to get AMEX?

bullish
07-28-2008, 06:09 PM
I have a Costco Platinum America Express card, which offers cash-backs. I'm very happy with the card, although it is not accepted everywhere, which is kind of annoying. I didn't have any problems when applying for the card, and I was actually approved for more credit than I asked for, within a week of submitting my application.

I highly recommend AMEX credit cards.

Steven
07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
I have a Costco Platinum America Express card, which offers cash-backs. I'm very happy with the card, although it is not accepted everywhere, which is kind of annoying. I didn't have any problems when applying for the card, and I was actually approved for more credit than I asked for, within a week of submitting my application.

I highly recommend AMEX credit cards.

Does the Costco AMEX have a yearly fee? If it does, how much is it? Does the card offer cash-backs for things bought only at Costco, or for everything you buy?

ghak7
07-31-2008, 03:55 PM
Is this Costco AMEX credit card good for 22 year old?

trent
07-31-2008, 05:57 PM
Is this Costco AMEX credit card good for 22 year old?

I just answered a similar question you asked in this thread:

http://forums.canadabanks.net/showthread.php?p=219

Keep in mind that Costco will charge you $50 per year membership fee. This is not a direct credit card fee, but you still have to pay it if you want the Costco AMEX (you need to be a Costco member in order to get the card).

Lumber Joe
04-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Nothing special really. Almost the same as Visa and MasterCard

trent
06-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Nothing special really. Almost the same as Visa and MasterCard

The AMEX credit cards are not accepted everywhere, while Visa and Mastercard usually are.

bullish
06-16-2009, 02:04 PM
The AMEX credit cards are not accepted everywhere, while Visa and Mastercard usually are.

That's why you need a Visa or Mastercard to go with your AMEX credit card.

fingers
10-21-2009, 12:42 AM
What's important to differentiate here is that Visa and Mastercard are credit cards, whereas American Express is a charge card.

You are expected to pay the balance in full each month for Amex, whereas you are OK with carrying a balance with Visa/Mastercard (and pay only the minimum).

trent
10-22-2009, 04:42 PM
What's important to differentiate here is that Visa and Mastercard are credit cards, whereas American Express is a charge card.

You are expected to pay the balance in full each month for Amex, whereas you are OK with carrying a balance with Visa/Mastercard (and pay only the minimum).

I have a credit card from American Express Canada and although I pay it in full every month, I don't have to. AMEX offer both Charge Cards and Credit Cards.

fingers
10-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Right you are, I stand corrected. I'd only used their rewards charge cards and didn't realize they offered credit.

chinoy99
10-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi all,
I believe Amex Bank have two plastic card products:

1) Amex Charge Charge (you are assigned an initial spending limit and this limit goes on
increasing with the passage of time upon good credit history
etc/ BUT it has no revolving credit and the balance has to be
paid in full each month)

2) Amex Credit Card (just like Visa & Master / it has revolving credit etc)

(This is to the best of my knowledge, correct me if i have made a mistake)

trent
10-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Hi all,
I believe Amex Bank have two plastic card products:

1) Amex Charge Charge (you are assigned an initial spending limit and this limit goes on
increasing with the passage of time upon good credit history
etc/ BUT it has no revolving credit and the balance has to be
paid in full each month)

2) Amex Credit Card (just like Visa & Master / it has revolving credit etc)

(This is to the best of my knowledge, correct me if i have made a mistake)

Yes, you are correct. Here is a short description of what a AMEX charge card is:

http://www.americanexpress.com/ireland/personal_cards/american_express_what_is_charge_card.shtml

chinoy99
10-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Yes "Trent", this is a perfect weblink which shows the comparison of amex credit card and charge card. Good job.

Richard
10-29-2009, 03:28 PM

The places I know accept AmEx are Costco, Shell and A&P grocery stores (Dominion, Metro, Foodland) because those companies are part of the Air Miles program (AmEx issues an Air Miles card). Some high-end stores also accept AmEx because of their clientele. In the US, it's much more widely accepted.

-Richard
[PUT URL IN YOUR SIGNATURE]