PDA

View Full Version : Opening a canadian bank account from the U.S.

cathelee
11-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to open a canadian bank account from the United States? Are there any branches of any canadian banks say, in Seattle or other cities near the US border? I will be doing business in Vancouver in the near future, but want to set up a bank account before I travel, in order to have money wired there. Thanks for anyones help.

BankAdmin
11-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to open a canadian bank account from the United States? Are there any branches of any canadian banks say, in Seattle or other cities near the US border? I will be doing business in Vancouver in the near future, but want to set up a bank account before I travel, in order to have money wired there. Thanks for anyones help.

Most big Canadian banks (http://www.canadabanks.net/default.aspx?article=Big+Five+Canadian+Banks) have presence in the US, so your best bet is to talk to one of those banks and see how this can be arranged.

Elli Davis
11-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Yeah, big Canadian back also have offices in the US. And , even though I don't have time to look it up right now, try to check out the websites of Canadian banks too - you might find the answer there. :)

Richard
11-15-2009, 05:17 AM
Accounts have to be opened in Canada in person. Original photo id needs to be present before the accounts can be opened. Scotia allows customers in China to set up an account, deposit money into it, but they can't use it for withdrawals until they step into a branch in Canada and show id.

Harris (BMO in the US) , RBC (US) and TD (US) are owned by Canadian banks but fall under American law. They're completely separate banks that just happen to be Canadian owned.

-Richard

rjones
12-24-2009, 02:06 PM
As an US citizen, I have been looking for a bank that has a branch in British Columbia.
However, I want a bank that has no offices in the US.
-
Now to me it looks like every Canadian bank has US offices or is part of a company that does have some US offices.
-
Canadian Western Bank seems to be the only one on your list that looks promising.
-
Any comments on this bank?
Can you suggest any other prospect?
-
I would really like to discuss the “art” of defining the fine lines of the US IRS schedule B.
-
Any adventurers out there?
-
By The Way, I started a corporation in British Columbia this week.
I never went to Canada.
RJ