PDA

View Full Version : retirement homes

ggonzo
08-18-2008, 03:27 PM
What do you think about retirement homes? What will be better to go to a retirement home or to rent an appartment? What are the advantages and disadvantages of retirement homes?

trent
08-18-2008, 07:52 PM
The advantages are that you have company of people of the same age group, you live in nice and clean environment (usually), somebody cooks/cleans/do the laundry for you, there are some activities organized for the patrons, the retirement home staff is there to help you should you need any help, etc.

The disadvantages are that these places are usually expensive, you might not want to live surrounded exclusively with all people, etc.

Canadian
08-18-2008, 08:04 PM
I shiver at the though that I'll spent my last years in retirement home. I'd rather die alone than surrounded by old people looking forward to nothing...

dreamy
08-19-2008, 03:50 PM
I think when you go to retirement home you look forward to nothing but die. I wouldn't like to go to one... Unless if you are really sick and disabled and you need someone to take care of you.

trent
08-22-2008, 06:56 PM
I shiver at the though that I'll spent my last years in retirement home. I'd rather die alone than surrounded by old people looking forward to nothing...

I admit that this thought doesn't evoke pleasant emotions... :p

bullish
08-27-2008, 05:54 PM
How about living last years of your life alone? Does this evoke pleasant emotions?

francisford
11-09-2009, 09:44 AM
i envision my retirement years in a little house with a big garden. my wife loves garden, and our home should be a place where we can do the things we've always loved. i hope i will be close to my kids, too. i want to die with them close to me. my fear is growing too old and then dying without the kids finding out soon enough.

as much as i acknowledge the advantages of a retirement home -- like help always being very close and staff always there to check up on me and make sure i am clean and well-fed, i can't imagine living with too many people my age. most old people, especially those who don't maintain close relationships with their kids anymore, are grumpy and moody and not so nice company.

Elli Davis
11-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Well, yeah, retirement homes don't exactly evoke positive emotions, you guys are right. Still, if someone is living all alone, with no family and friends around, it might be better to stay in retirement home, just for the company of people. You know, being alone is terrible.

francisford
11-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Well, yeah, retirement homes don't exactly evoke positive emotions, you guys are right. Still, if someone is living all alone, with no family and friends around, it might be better to stay in retirement home, just for the company of people. You know, being alone is terrible.

Well yeah, you have a point. If ever I die ahead of my wife, I'd really want her to go to a retirement home. I would want her taken very good care of. I want people to make sure she eats well and stays happy and not be lonesome even if I am gone. I know she wants the same thing for me too in case she passes away ahead of me. But as long as we still have each other, we'd be fine.

Rickson9
11-25-2009, 01:40 PM
How much do people stereotype retirement homes?

Ana72
12-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Good day! You should go for a retirement home, because it’s a multi-residence housing facility intended for the elderly. The house is actually has an apartment-style room or suite of rooms. There are some included facilities for meals, gathering, recreation, and some form of health. It can be paid for on a rental basis, like an apartment, or can be bought in perpetuity on the same basis as a condominium.

Have a nice day ahead!!;)