Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > General Finance
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2009, 02:40 PM

Default Canadian household net worth down 4.4%

According to Statistics Canada the average Canadian household net worth had its biggest drop ever, falling 4.4 per cent in the last 4 months of 2008.

Canadians lost an average of $14,000 from their net worth in the last 2 quarters, mainly due to dismal stock markets.

I wonder what happens when the housing decline accelerates, considering that a large percentage of the net worth of most Canadians is tied to their homes
Old 03-17-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
...I wonder what happens when the housing decline accelerates, considering that a large percentage of the net worth of most Canadians is tied to their homes
The housing decline in Canada is over. If you don't buy now you'll be left behind and you won't be able to afford a house at all.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullish View Post
The housing decline in Canada is over. If you don't buy now you'll be left behind and you won't be able to afford a house at all.
The Canadian housing decline haven't even really started yet. When all is said and done the price will sit anywhere between 30% and 50% down from the peak.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 PM

I also think that 30% down is a good conservative estimate. Bullish I hope you have at least 30% equity in your house right now, or you might find yourself in a big trouble.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I also think that 30% down is a good conservative estimate. Bullish I hope you have at least 30% equity in your house right now, or you might find yourself in a big trouble.
He is in a big trouble already with this attitude and this kind of thinking...
Old 03-25-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
With the increasing unemployment I don't think this will happen very soon. People lose their jobs on daily basis, companies have a hire freeze and no increase in the salaries is seen in the near future. So I think you are very very wrong. People don't even go on vacations ... and you are talking about buying homes....
Old 03-26-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
With the increasing unemployment I don't think this will happen very soon. People lose their jobs on daily basis, companies have a hire freeze and no increase in the salaries is seen in the near future. So I think you are very very wrong. People don't even go on vacations ... and you are talking about buying homes....
By the end of the year the job losses will be down significantly and the economy will be on its way up. I think many people will miss the boat, by not buying real estate now at these low prices, considering low interest rates as well.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
By the end of the year the job losses will be down significantly and the economy will be on its way up. I think many people will miss the boat, by not buying real estate now at these low prices, considering low interest rates as well.
Job losses will only increase this year. The housing will decline at least 10% from here by the end of the year. Interest rate will start creeping up by the end of the year. You are a moron
Old 03-30-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
You already missed the boat by not selling last year. Three or four years from now you'll be sitting on a hefty 40-50% loss, and this is only if you can keep the house...
Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
You already missed the boat by not selling last year. Three or four years from now you'll be sitting on a hefty 40-50% loss, and this is only if you can keep the house...
Yep, that's what I'm waiting for to buy - a 40% decline from current prices. It must sound impossible for those who bought in the bubble, but this doesn't mean it won't happen.