Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > Insurance
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2008, 09:31 PM

Default Does OHIP cover medical insurance in US?

I'll be traveling to US for a short vacation in July and I was wondering do I need a travel insurance (medical) or am I covered by OHIP while on vacation in US?
Old 06-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Administrator

There are some restrictions if you travel outside of Canada or even Ontario (don't forget that OHIP is Ontario Health Insurance Plan). The Ministry of Health and Long-term Care recommends getting private health insurance when traveling, because health services in other countries like US usually cost much more than the OHIP will cover.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:26 PM

Yes I will definitely recommend you to have insurance. OHIP covers up to $400.00 per day. If an emergency occurs and you have to go to a hospital you need to have insurance.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:51 PM

Thanks guys,

I'll get an insurance then. Can you recommend a good Canadian insurance company for travel insurance? What company do you buy your travel insurance from?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 PM

Manulife Canada is not a bad choice for travel insurance. I've actually had to use my travel insurance for medical expenses abroad (I paid with credit card) and they reimbursed me promptly.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:24 PM

Thanks Trent, I'll check Manulife out. How much would I expect to pay for a travel insurance for 2 weeks for one person?
Old 07-02-2009, 02:23 PM

Default Does OHIP cover medical insurance in US

My employer gives me medical cover under a group insurance scheme. The insurer reimbursed a claim for an expense of Rs 2,00,000 incurred by me for my fathers surgery. Will I have to pay tax on the money received?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranana_veitty View Post
My employer gives me medical cover under a group insurance scheme. The insurer reimbursed a claim for an expense of Rs 2,00,000 incurred by me for my fathers surgery. Will I have to pay tax on the money received?
What does this have to do with OHIP?!?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankAdmin View Post
There are some restrictions if you travel outside of Canada or even Ontario (don't forget that OHIP is Ontario Health Insurance Plan). The Ministry of Health and Long-term Care recommends getting private health insurance when traveling, because health services in other countries like US usually cost much more than the OHIP will cover.
thanks 4 info..
i never know before this!