Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Economy
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2008, 09:17 AM

Default Canada factory closures

Do you think that the US downturn will result in more factory closures in Canada - not only in the auto sector...
Old 07-15-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
Do you think that the US downturn will result in more factory closures in Canada - not only in the auto sector...
Yes, for sure. Canadian economy is very dependent on US, and when there is a recession there, soon enough there will be one in Canada. On a positive note, Canada is resource-rich, which will hopefully help weather the downturn...
Old 11-13-2008, 03:19 PM

The Canadian dollar now is cheaper again so they may postpone some factory closures for now.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamy View Post
The Canadian dollar now is cheaper again so they may postpone some factory closures for now.
I doubt it. Even though the Canadian dollar is cheaper than the US one at the moment, the consumer consumption in both Canada and US has weakened considerably, which will hurt producers.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:02 PM

As soon as the stock market recovers, the consumers will be spending again, and all will be well.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullish View Post
As soon as the stock market recovers, the consumers will be spending again, and all will be well.
The problem is that the stock market might not recover for a few years. Look at Japan's stock market that hasn't recovered yet from its former top.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
The problem is that the stock market might not recover for a few years. Look at Japan's stock market that hasn't recovered yet from its former top.
Probably not. It's like the real estate market. It will take years to recover. This of course is too bad for everybody because all industries are connected somehow...
Old 11-19-2008, 03:08 PM

Default this is wrong

Quote:
I can answer my own question now. Today the big 3 automakers said they need some billions to fix their business. Well, this is easy, they will print some money and voilą. Don't you think this is wrong - very wrong?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I can answer my own question now. Today the big 3 automakers said they need some billions to fix their business. Well, this is easy, they will print some money and voilą. Don't you think this is wrong - very wrong?
Yes, this is wrong. Printing money will only fuel inflation in medium to long term. Everybody is scared of deflation now, with house values falling off a cliff, however the deflation scare will be very short-lived with all the new money pumped into the system daily.