Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > Investing
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2009, 01:43 PM

Default Winning asset class for 2009?

What do you think will be the winning asset class in 2009? Share your thoughts on the subject and let us know how are you planning to invest in 2009.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:42 PM

I would say oil. I know that oil is not an asset class by itself, but I'm not sure that many other commodities have the upside potential oil has, that's why I didn't say commodities. I see oil in the $80-$90 range by the end of this year, and I'm planning to make some money from this .
Old 01-21-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
I would say oil. I know that oil is not an asset class by itself, but I'm not sure that many other commodities have the upside potential oil has, that's why I didn't say commodities. I see oil in the $80-$90 range by the end of this year, and I'm planning to make some money from this .
I don't think oil will go over $50 this year and I see it in the $30-$40 range actually. I think cash will stiull be king in 2009.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
I don't think oil will go over $50 this year and I see it in the $30-$40 range actually. I think cash will stiull be king in 2009.
Oil peak is here, and production in major oil fields worldwide is declining at alarming rate. In short cheap oil extraction is over, and places like the Canadian oil sands are very expensive to develop. Nobody will invest in developing new oil projects if the price stays in the $30 range for prolonged period. This in turn will pose a huge supply problem, once we have an economic recovery, and the price might shoot back to its previous high in a matter of weeks.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:12 PM

I think both oil and gold will do extremely well, in the present economic environment. It will take some time for oil to resume its bull market, but I expect it to start gaining early summer. As far as gold goes, I won't be surprised to see a new all time high by the end of March.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:52 PM

Yes, gold should do well for a while, but keep in mind that gold is not cheap, compared to oil.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:06 AM

Talking Oil & Gold

I think oil might cross even $70 and this looks good time to invest in oil. Its my prediction.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadhwani View Post
I think oil might cross even $70 and this looks good time to invest in oil. Its my prediction.
I also think that oil will be higher than $70 by the end of the year. I wouldn't invest in oil right now though, as I expect it to correct from here.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
What do you think will be the winning asset class in 2009? Share your thoughts on the subject and let us know how are you planning to invest in 2009.
The stock market is doing well YTD.

DOW +11.9%
S&P500 +18.3%
S&P/TSX +27.9%
NASDAQ +35.1%