Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > Retirement, RRSP & CPP
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2009, 01:43 PM

Default Tax Free Savings Account 2009

The New Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA) - are you going to get advantage of it? If you have the extra $5000.00 would you open TFSA and if yes with which financial institution?

Last edited by heyjude; 01-22-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
The New Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA) - are you going to get advantage of it? If you have the extra $5000.00 would you open TFSA and if yes with which financial institution?
I was thinking to open a self-directed TFSA account with TD, but I'm still doing my research. Has anybody opened TFSA account with TD, and if yes what's your experience?

Do you know a company that offers self-directed TFSA with low commissions? It seems like all big Canadian banks have really high transaction fees.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
I was thinking to open a self-directed TFSA account with TD, but I'm still doing my research. Has anybody opened TFSA account with TD, and if yes what's your experience?

Do you know a company that offers self-directed TFSA with low commissions? It seems like all big Canadian banks have really high transaction fees.
I have no experience with TD, but I have an ActionDirect investing account from Royal Bank. Their transaction fees are also ridiculously high, unless you have more than $100K in your investing account, or you do more than certain number of trades per quarter.

I'm thinking of ditching RBC and moving my investment account to QuestTrade.
Anybody care to share their experience with QuestTrade?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:27 PM

I talked to a friend last might and he said that even though QuestTrade offers low transaction costs, their website lacks usability, and he's not happy with their service and support.

Any other suggestions for a low cost Canadian brokerage?
Old 01-29-2009, 03:58 PM

Have you tried Interactive Brokers or E-Trade?
Old 02-04-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I talked to a friend last might and he said that even though QuestTrade offers low transaction costs, their website lacks usability, and he's not happy with their service and support.

Any other suggestions for a low cost Canadian brokerage?
OK, QuestTrade doesn't sound too promising then. I might have to stay with Royal bank even tough commissions are high.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
OK, QuestTrade doesn't sound too promising then. I might have to stay with Royal bank even tough commissions are high.
I always wondered if you can negotiate down the commissions you are paying to the big Canadian banks even though you don't have the $100K. It seems unfair to pay $30 per trade, when in US there are so many discount brokerages offering trades in the $4-$10 range, without stupid requirements for a minimum level of money in the investment accounts.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I always wondered if you can negotiate down the commissions you are paying to the big Canadian banks even though you don't have the $100K. It seems unfair to pay $30 per trade, when in US there are so many discount brokerages offering trades in the $4-$10 range, without stupid requirements for a minimum level of money in the investment accounts.
You can try... Honestly I don't think you will be able to negotiate the commissions because there are not many alternatives. We have 5 major canadian banks and that's it. Please keep us posted if you have any luck negotiating it.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:09 PM

I've actually called my bank, and I got the response I expected - "No, we cannot lower your trading commissions if you don't have $100,000+ in your brokerage account or if you don qualify for lower commission as an active trader (requires certain number of trades per quarter)". What was I thinking, here in Canada some things never change .
Old 10-14-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beicaRig73 View Post
The bank recommended that my Mom utilize this new account. Shes over 70 so some of her investments are tied up in RIFs now. She also has to pay a fair bit of income tax every year. Seeing as the Tax Free Savings account is tax free, it sounds like more sense to me. Like you, I have to make an appointment to meet with the bank in the near future to look into it for her and myself.
TFSA is a great option to invest and earn money tax free, however I think your Mom should be very conservative in her investment decisions at this age.