Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Banks and Banking
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2008, 02:19 PM

Default TD Bank or Royal Bank

Which bank is better - TD Bank or Royal Bank?
which bank is safest?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:09 PM

I don't think there is much difference between RBC and TD. RBC has bigger market share (the biggest Canadian bank). As for safest nobody knows which one is better and the only think you can count on is that if one of those banks is to go under the Canadian government will respond with "too big to fail" approach .
Old 12-08-2008, 04:16 PM

I haven't banked with TD bank, but I bank with Royal Bank and they seem to be OK, not great, but OK.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:58 PM

TD Bank is fine. I mean what is the difference anyway. I agree with Jason. I don't think any Canadian bank will fail.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Administrator

When choosing a bank make sure that the bank's deposits are insured by Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:03 PM

I bank with neither TD Bank nor Royal Bank. All my money are in CIBC but recently I started to think of withdrawing them... I already started a thread about this. I am losing confidence.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronto18 View Post
I bank with neither TD Bank nor Royal Bank. All my money are in CIBC but recently I started to think of withdrawing them... I already started a thread about this. I am losing confidence.
What exactly worries you about CIBC? I know that they had some huge writedowns, but I'm not sure if they still have problems?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:20 PM

I think that the big 5 Canadian banks are "too big to fail" and if any of them is in trouble it will be bailed out right away, so it doesn't really make any difference which bank you do business with.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:03 AM

Default TD Bank or Royal Bank

if the bank holds a deposit and you have checks come in while they are holding that deposit, what happens?? Do they cover the checks and charge you overdraft fees???
Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranana_veitty View Post
if the bank holds a deposit and you have checks come in while they are holding that deposit, what happens?? Do they cover the checks and charge you overdraft fees???
I'm not sure I understand your question. Can you please clartify?