Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Economy
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2009, 09:10 PM

Default Carney expects economic recovery in 2010

The Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney forecasted an economic recovery for Canada in 2010. I personally don't see this happening, and I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

Please let me know what you think?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
The Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney forecasted an economic recovery for Canada in 2010. I personally don't see this happening, and I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

Please let me know what you think?
Yeah, sure and I expect Santa Claus to bring me more presents this Spring
Old 02-12-2009, 01:29 PM

The Canadian economic recovery can start even earlier in my opinion, I'm guessing around fall this year. Canada has strong economic fundamentals, and we'll get through this minor recession very soon.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullish View Post
The Canadian economic recovery can start even earlier in my opinion, I'm guessing around fall this year. Canada has strong economic fundamentals, and we'll get through this minor recession very soon.
Sure, we can start the economic recovery even now, why not? If we wish it strong enough it will simply happen, right?

By the fall Canadian real estate will be down another 10-15% on average, and there will be 100s of thousands jobs lost. Both these factors will crash consumer spending (largely on credit), because consumer without confidence will quickly turn into a saver. When consumers stop spending, they'll also stop borrowing, which will affect Canadian banks very negatively. The falling housing value will also put immense pressure on the banks and it's not clear if the big banks can stay solvent in this environment. All this points to imminent economic recovery, as I'm sure you understand
Old 02-13-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
By the fall Canadian real estate will be down another 10-15% on average, and there will be 100s of thousands jobs lost. Both these factors will crash consumer spending (largely on credit), because consumer without confidence will quickly turn into a saver. When consumers stop spending, they'll also stop borrowing, which will affect Canadian banks very negatively. The falling housing value will also put immense pressure on the banks and it's not clear if the big banks can stay solvent in this environment. All this points to imminent economic recovery, as I'm sure you understand
I'm very inclined to agree with you. Sadly I can't say anything optimistic although I always try to look on the bright side of things...
Old 02-18-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
I'm very inclined to agree with you. Sadly I can't say anything optimistic although I always try to look on the bright side of things...
There is always a bull market somewhere, it's just not in stocks and real estate anymore .
Old 02-19-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
There is always a bull market somewhere, it's just not in stocks and real estate anymore .
Where do you think there is a bull market now?
Old 02-23-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
Where do you think there is a bull market now?
Gold and silver.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:39 PM

Gold is the biggest bubble of all, and it will crash very soon. You better get out while you can.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullish View Post
Gold is the biggest bubble of all, and it will crash very soon. You better get out while you can.
I wouldn't say that there is a gold bubble, at least not yet, but with all the bailouts and irresponsible money printing we might have one pretty soon.