Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > Retirement, RRSP & CPP

Old 06-12-2008, 06:12 PM

Default RRSP - can I close it?

Are you allowed to close RRSP account before retirement?
Can you close it and take out the money? Do you have to pay taxes and are there any penalties associated with it?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 PM

I'm not sure if that's possible, and it's better to ask your accountant questions liek that.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

You can withdraw part or all of your RRSP whenever you want, as long as your investments are liquid at the time you want to withdraw them. However the funds you get out from your RRSP will be taxed as a personal income for the year.

There are some special cases in which you can borrow money from your RRSP for certain period of time. I believe you can withdraw up to $20,000 over 4 years, for the purpose of financing higher education longer than 3 months (don't take my word for it, do your own research). Then you'll have to pay back the borrowed funds within 10 years. Another way to borrow from your RRSP is if you are a first-time home buyer and you need funds for house downpayment. In this case you can borrow up to $20,000, which has to be repaid over the next 15 years.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Banned

Sure you can