Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > Debt

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
trent trent is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 387
Default Canadian credit card losses soar!

Here is an interesting article from Toronto Star about the credit card debt problems Canadians face:

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/581940

For all of you that believe in the "Canada is different" story, read the article, as it offers a few sobering facts like:

1. Canadians' debt-to-disposable income ratio stands at 130 per cent, which is higher than US.
2. Canadians had $80 billions outstanding credit card debt a year ago.
3. Delinquencies were up over 5 per cent at the end of last year
4. Credit card interest rates are going up
__________________
No debt
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Canadian Canadian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
Here is an interesting article from Toronto Star about the credit card debt problems Canadians face:

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/581940

For all of you that believe in the "Canada is different" story, read the article, as it offers a few sobering facts like:

1. Canadians' debt-to-disposable income ratio stands at 130 per cent, which is higher than US.
2. Canadians had $80 billions outstanding credit card debt a year ago.
3. Delinquencies were up over 5 per cent at the end of last year
4. Credit card interest rates are going up
I've repeated this to my friends so many times that I completely lost count - we are in worse shape than Americans. They get higher salaries for the same type of work and qualification, they have much lower taxes, everything is cheaper in US, and Canada exports and by extension the economy is totally dependent on the US one. If US is in trouble so are we.

As for the debt carried by Canadians, it's finally good to see somebody admitting in public that we have a problem, big problem!
__________________
Bear with me please
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Steven Steven is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 139
Default

Thanks for the article Trent!

I must say after reading this, I don't feel too optimistic about the Canadian economy at all. I never knew that Canadians carry that much debt, and I always thought that we are much better off compared to Americans. Well, obviously that's not the case.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-11-2009, 05:02 PM
trent trent is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Thanks for the article Trent!

I must say after reading this, I don't feel too optimistic about the Canadian economy at all. I never knew that Canadians carry that much debt, and I always thought that we are much better off compared to Americans. Well, obviously that's not the case.
Yet, the majority of Canadians believe government lies, and think that everything will be just fine in a few months. This is not going to happen, and they better be prepared for what's coming.
__________________
No debt
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2009, 02:32 PM
bullish bullish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
Yet, the majority of Canadians believe government lies, and think that everything will be just fine in a few months. This is not going to happen, and they better be prepared for what's coming.
And what exactly is coming? Please look in your crystal ball and enlighten us.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-13-2009, 04:20 PM
sunshine sunshine is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 62
Default

I'll just ignore the comment by the previous poster and will add that I never thought Canadians carried that much debt. I always was under the impression that we are better with finances compared to Americans.

About the government - they admitted last week that worse times are approaching.
I really don't know what to think anymore but when a friend of mine in US told me yesterday that 4000 people line up for 350 jobs it sounded really scary and depressing.
__________________
sunny
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-18-2009, 03:27 PM
trent trent is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullish View Post
And what exactly is coming? Please look in your crystal ball and enlighten us.
If you don't know what's coming then you are the most ignorant Canadian ever. Here is what's coming:

1. Lots of layoffs
2. Housing crash in Canada (from peak to bottom the average Canadian house will lose half its value)
3. Severe economic recession, possibly depression
4. Inflation, possibly hyperinflation

Happy?
__________________
No debt
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.