Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Banks and Banking

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 04:09 PM
David 1955 David 1955 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1
Default I am looking for legal advice .Stop payment check for services .

I have a registered alteration home business in Edmonton,Canada. I altered a wedding dress for a customer and her mother made the payment for the service with a $845.00 cheque. I deposited the cheque at the bank. After a few days the cheque was cancelled by the customer. Soon after I received an injurious letter from her, informing me that the dress hasnít been done properly so thatís why she cancelled the cheque. She was informing me also that she is willing to pay half of the amount we agreed on , when she took the wedding dress.

So along with the injurious letter I received a new checque,$400.00, but I couldnít cash it because she used a different name than my business, even though she used the correct one on the mailing letter (on the mailed envelop the name of my business and all the information were correct, not on the cheque though ).

I have done some investigation on the internet and I found pictures from the wedding and the bride looks impeccable in the dress that I have altered and she seemed very happy and satisfied.

I am very upset with all this predicament and I donít know what I can do about it.
Should I take legal action? Can my husband represent me or do I need a lawyer? Should I go for the Small Claim Court? Where can I find information about similar cases?

Any information will be really appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
trent trent is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 387

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Do you have a signed contract for the dress alteration, stating the fees for the service?
No debt
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Steven Steven is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 139

You can talk to a paralegal and ask them if something can be done. Going to a lawyer for this will be way too expensive.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Canadian Canadian is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 415

David, what happened? Were you able to recover the payment from the cheating customer?
Bear with me please
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.