Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > Real Estate and Mortgages

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
invest invest is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 26
Default Is it OK to low-ball?

If a house has been on the market for 6 months is it OK to low-ball?
They are asking $249.000 and I was thinking to offer $229.00.
The realtor told us that we may insult the owners and they will not consider our offer. I thoughts that this is a must in negotiating... What do you think?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Canadian Canadian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by invest View Post
If a house has been on the market for 6 months is it OK to low-ball?
They are asking $249.000 and I was thinking to offer $229.00.
The realtor told us that we may insult the owners and they will not consider our offer. I thoughts that this is a must in negotiating... What do you think?
Sure it is Ok to lowball, especially now when the RE market in Canada is going down. If this house has been on the market for 6 months then there is either something seriously wrong with the house, or the house is not worth $249K. If you like the house and you think there is nothing wrong with it, then don't offer $229K, but instead offer something really low like $180K. Don't expect this to be accepted, but instead look at it as a starting point for negotiation.

As for the realtor bullshit just don't pay any attention to it .
__________________
Bear with me please
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-22-2008, 06:50 PM
trent trent is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 387
Default

Nothing in this life is a gift. If you want a low price you should learn to negotiate. As Canadian pointed out, with the Canadian real estate market going bad, this will be easier than before. If the pompous seller gets offended at your offer, just move on to the next one, until you find one desperate enough to take your offer.
__________________
No debt
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-22-2008, 07:10 PM
bullish bullish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
If the pompous seller gets offended at your offer, just move on to the next one, until you find one desperate enough to take your offer.
Now that's what I call an arrogant and stupid advice. The "desperate person" you will be lowballing most likely has a family to take care of. Have you ever though of that moron?!?!?!?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Canadian Canadian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 415
Default

How is that a stupid advice? Paying over-inflated price for a property is stupid, not paying the best price you can get.
__________________
Bear with me please
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2008, 04:11 PM
trent trent is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullish View Post
Now that's what I call an arrogant and stupid advice. The "desperate person" you will be lowballing most likely has a family to take care of. Have you ever though of that moron?!?!?!?
Just a few months back the "desperate person" you are refering to, was using their house (they couldn't really afford) as ATM and was salivating with greed. Now the market has turned and it's time to pay the piper.

When I buy a property from such a person (at a huge discount), I'll be thinking about how the market punished their greed, and rewarded me for for not buying into the housing bubble.
__________________
No debt
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-26-2008, 02:16 PM
invest invest is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
Sure it is Ok to lowball, especially now when the RE market in Canada is going down. If this house has been on the market for 6 months then there is either something seriously wrong with the house, or the house is not worth $249K. If you like the house and you think there is nothing wrong with it, then don't offer $229K, but instead offer something really low like $180K. Don't expect this to be accepted, but instead look at it as a starting point for negotiation.

As for the realtor bullshit just don't pay any attention to it .
Thanks all for your suggestions. One more thing Canadian; if I offer $180K my real estate agent will freak out. Maybe something like $199K is more likely. I know this is part of the bargain and nobody is supposed to be insulted but in the recent years people have this idea that you should always agree with the price and even expect bidding war…
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Zephyr Zephyr is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 22
Default

Yes it is. Especially now when the Toronto real estate market is in decline - according to Toronto Real Estate Board the number of sales in Toronto are 25% down: http://forums.canadabanks.net/blog.php?b=4
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Steven Steven is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 139
Default

I wouldn't buy just yet, as I expect prices to come down a little more from current levels. However if you really have to buy now, then submit a really low offer, and don't bother too much what your real estate agent or the seller will say.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.