Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > Personal Loans
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2008, 01:59 PM

Default do the banks loan money?

Do the banks give loans at the moment? If I need personal loan will they lend me? Just curious
Old 11-20-2008, 06:47 PM

Of course they loan money - they are in the business of loaning money. I haven't heard any of my friends or colleagues complain about having problem getting a loan from Canadian bank. US banks might have stopped lending, but the Canadian banks are just fine.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullish View Post
Of course they loan money - they are in the business of loaning money. I haven't heard any of my friends or colleagues complain about having problem getting a loan from Canadian bank. US banks might have stopped lending, but the Canadian banks are just fine.
Have you actually tried to borrow from a Canadian bank in the last few months? I friend of mine applied for a credit line with CIBC in October 2008 and was denied. I definitely think that the banks have tightened their lending criteria and getting a loan is harder than it was a few months back.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
Do the banks give loans at the moment? If I need personal loan will they lend me? Just curious
They will if you have assets. Do you have any assets? If you already have a mortgage, car loan and credit card debt they may not lend you money...
Old 11-24-2008, 03:02 PM

I spoke to a friend of mine last night, and he told me that it's close to impossible to get an unsecured loan at the moment. He is doing an extension on a house he recently bought in Toronto, and he needs a temporary unsecured loan (almost like a bridge loan) to cover his expenses until he obtains the permanent financing. The problem is that none of the big 5 Canadian banks won't give him such loan. I guess he can try credit unions next, but I doubt that he'll get a different answer there.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
I spoke to a friend of mine last night, and he told me that it's close to impossible to get an unsecured loan at the moment. He is doing an extension on a house he recently bought in Toronto, and he needs a temporary unsecured loan (almost like a bridge loan) to cover his expenses until he obtains the permanent financing. The problem is that none of the big 5 Canadian banks won't give him such loan. I guess he can try credit unions next, but I doubt that he'll get a different answer there.
That's too bad. So I guess the answer in NO. They don't loan money at the moment...
Old 11-27-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary1 View Post
They will if you have assets. Do you have any assets? If you already have a mortgage, car loan and credit card debt they may not lend you money...
I agree, you must have assets, stable job and perfect credit for the bank even consider you for a loan. Otherwise they'll show you the door.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:07 PM

thanks all for your replies. At the moment they won't give a personal loan to anyone who has debt and no assets. Or the interest rate will be sky high...
Old 12-03-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
thanks all for your replies. At the moment they won't give a personal loan to anyone who has debt and no assets. Or the interest rate will be sky high...
And that's the way it should be. If the banks adhered to these simple rules, we wouldn't be in this mess, would we?
Old 12-05-2008, 04:18 PM

I can tell you from personal experience that getting loan right now is close to impossible. It looks like Canadian banks are afraid to lend even to people with excellent credit. The problem is that in a credit-driven society, once the credit stops flowing the economy stops with it.