Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Economy
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2008, 04:30 PM

Default Toronto is the 2nd most expensive city to live in in North America

The annual Mercer's cost of living survey published in the UK, ranked Toronto the 2nd most expensive city to live in North America.

I have a friend of mine who always maintained that Toronto is ridiculously overpriced, but I never took this seriously. Obviously he was right .

I don't understand why is Toronto so expensive though - the weather is terrible, taxes are high, real estate is overpriced, the city doesn't have enough highways for the high number of cars on the road,...
Old 07-30-2008, 04:57 PM

Well this is hardly a surprise, and it's good that somebody finally admitted it. You can eat/drink cheaper in New York, Los Angeles and London. Frankly I like Toronto, but the city is nothing special. I guess the high prices are largely due to the many monopolies we Canadians are very fond of (think Rogers) and the lack of real competition.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:29 PM

What is the most expensive city in the world according to this report? Is it Tokyo?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
What is the most expensive city in the world according to this report? Is it Tokyo?
Probably Tokyo or Moscow or some Scandinavian city.
Anyway I am really surprised by this survey. I always thought that Vancouver is the most expensive Canadian city. I'm moving to Vancouver then. The weather is nicer, the Rockies are closer, the ocen is at your doorstep

And I agree that Toronto is very expensive comparing to L.A.
Well the real estate in L.A. is pricey but look at the weather.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:59 PM

Moscow is the most expensive city according to the survey.

Yeah, Vancouver is a really nice place to live, if only properties were cheaper
Old 08-01-2008, 02:30 PM

I don't think Toronto is sooo expensive. What do they take into account to formulate this survey?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annof View Post
I don't think Toronto is sooo expensive. What do they take into account to formulate this survey?
According to Mercer they cover "comparative cost of over 200 items in each location, including housing, transport, food, clothing, household goods and entertainment." This sounds like prettey much everything to me.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
According to Mercer they cover "comparative cost of over 200 items in each location, including housing, transport, food, clothing, household goods and entertainment." This sounds like prettey much everything to me.

Toronto is pretty expensive. Maybe if you go to one of the Scandinavian countries it will seem cheap but if you travel in Europe and most of US you will see that Toronto is expensive and that we pay too much taxes. In New York for example they don't pay nay taxes on clothing and shoes under $110. And this is New York City I am talking about - this is good for the business and good for the consumer. Here we pay 13% on top of everything. If you are a tourist would you start buying stuff? no you wouldn't, would you go to restaurants all the time - no you wouldn't, because you pay 13% taxes, than you have liquor tax than you have 15% tip and what not. Did you ever notice that our Sightseeing busses are almost empty - there is a reason for that!
Old 12-05-2008, 02:31 PM

Yes, Toronto is overpriced for no good reason, and this is about to change dramatically. Falling prices are not as bad as the establishment has led you to believe. Falling prices mean increasing purchasing power for your savings and your salary. I'm sorry, I almost forgot that saving money went out of style long time ago.