Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > General Finance

Old 11-19-2008, 02:51 PM

Default gas prices

Hi there, it's been a while since my last visit. I hope you all are doing well.
I can't understand one thing - the gas prices are going down but not the prices of all other items. Not the groceries, not the clothing, not the electronics or air travel. Am I missing something? When the gas prices went up the airlines screamed how they will go bankrupt if they don't surcharge us for fuel and extra luggage. What are they going to say now?
Old 11-19-2008, 07:17 PM

Well I guess some of the airlines will be able to turn profit with the lower gas prices. I don't think we'll see such low gas prices for much longer though. Once the USD resumes it's way down, the gas prices will skyrocket.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:47 PM

There are still airlines going bankrupt - see Alitalia.. I don't think we will see any low prices any more....
Old 11-21-2008, 02:20 PM

We'll see low airfare prices if demands dries up. Otherwise it's only up from here.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:50 PM

At least the gas prices are going in our direction.... Look around!
I think the prices of everything will go down if the gas prices stabilize.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:05 PM

Don't get your hopes too high. The world economy is running on oil, and the biggest oil fields worldwide are depleting at ever increasing speed. There is simply not enough oil (at least cheap enough to produce) to go around. Soon or a later the liquidation panic gripping the markets will subside and fundamentals will take over. At this point oil will rise much higher from where it is now.