Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > Debt
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2008, 12:06 AM

Default people in debt

Do you think the government will do something to help the people in debt? Does it have to?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
Do you think the government will do something to help the people in debt? Does it have to?
Of course the government can do something stupid like that, but this will be really bad for everybody. People who has borrowed more than they can afford to repay, must fail. This way everybody will know that reckless borrowing leads to bankruptcy, and you must spend less than you earn.

Last edited by Canadian; 11-16-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
Of course the government can do something stupid like that, but this will be really bad for everybody. People who has borrowed more than they can afford to repay, must fail. This way everybody will know that reckless borrowing leads to bankruptcy, and you must spend less than you earn.
I agree. I heard that in US they want to stop the foreclosures. This will not teach people to learn from their mistakes instead it will teach them that they can do stupid things and there will always be the government to bail them out with taxpayers money...
Old 11-17-2008, 02:07 PM

Yes, but I prefer the government to do something if the other option is severe recession. I hope Canada avoids a severe recession or even something worse.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Yes, but I prefer the government to do something if the other option is severe recession. I hope Canada avoids a severe recession or even something worse.
I think Canada is in recession and next year will be even worse. Of course I am pessimist but I don't see anything good comming...
Old 11-18-2008, 06:16 PM

The personal debt carried by Canadians is well beyond the point where it can be repaid. Even with historically low interest rates, Canadians are struggling to service their debt and pay their bills. The only way to repay all these debts is trough liquidation - bankruptcies, foreclosures, etc. The sooner the bad debt is liquidated, the better for all of us.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
The personal debt carried by Canadians is well beyond the point where it can be repaid. Even with historically low interest rates, Canadians are struggling to service their debt and pay their bills. The only way to repay all these debts is trough liquidation - bankruptcies, foreclosures, etc. The sooner the bad debt is liquidated, the better for all of us.
Trent, do you have any numbers about the personal debt levels in Canada, maybe from Statistics Canada?
Old 11-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Administrator

I'll browse the Statistics Canada website and I'll try to find some data about the personal debt levels in Canada.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:57 PM

BankAdmin, were you able to find some stats on Canadian personal debt levels? Please post here if you did.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Administrator

No, I didn't have to time to look for that, sorry. I'll try to do it over the weekend.