Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > Real Estate and Mortgages
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2009, 03:34 PM

Default Getting a mortgage while real estate is crashing

Why would anybody get a mortgage to buy a house in Canada now, that real estate prices are crashing across Canada? Please share your thoughts, because I cannot find a single good reason to do that?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
Why would anybody get a mortgage to buy a house in Canada now, that real estate prices are crashing across Canada? Please share your thoughts, because I cannot find a single good reason to do that?
I think that there is always somebody who thinks that real estate has reached a bottom, and prices will rise. Other people are not so sure if the bottom has been reached, however they are willing to tolerate 10-15% decline in the next years, as long as they believe real estate values will rebound.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:06 PM

I don't think that the Canadian real estate is crashing, at least not yet. People buy houses for 2 reasons - shelter and investment. I don't think that there are many real estate speculators left out there, however there will always be people that need shelter.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:01 PM

The condo prices will go way down. So many units were bought from investors. If you happen to walk around a recently build condominium you cannot miss the FOR SALE and FOR LEASE signs around the building.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:18 PM

Not only condos, but all housing prices will go down big time. I won't be surprised if the median price reach pre-boom 200-2001 levels or even lower. It's foreclosure time!
Old 01-14-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Not only condos, but all housing prices will go down big time. I won't be surprised if the median price reach pre-boom 200-2001 levels or even lower. It's foreclosure time!
Again, wishful thinking from somebody who never owned a home and most likely never will.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullish View Post
Again, wishful thinking from somebody who never owned a home and most likely never will.
But I will . I might even come and buy your overpriced house when the price goes down 50% from here
Old 01-16-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
But I will . I might even come and buy your overpriced house when the price goes down 50% from here
Just a few months ago I thought that the real estate in Toronto will see a decline of maximum 30%, but now 50% decline seems quite reasonable with the complete lack of credit, buyers and fools to buy into the deflating bubble.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:24 PM

Keep dreaming guys, in a 6 months the economy will be much better and many people will be sorry that they didn't buy until house/stocks were down.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronto18 View Post
The condo prices will go way down. So many units were bought from investors. If you happen to walk around a recently build condominium you cannot miss the FOR SALE and FOR LEASE signs around the building.
That's true. I see a lot of houses around where I live, are FOR Lease. I wonder if the owners want to sell them but are waiting for the market to recover and want to lease them to cover their mortgage payments in between...