Canadian Banks | Forums | Terms of Use

Welcome to the Canadian Financial Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Canadian Financial Forums > Canadian Financial Forums > Investing
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Default How to find stocks for beginners!

Hey guys. I recently opened up an online stock trading account and purchased my first set of stocks. I am a complete rookie to the stock market but have been investing in mutual funds for the past 4 years. I always read about great investors preaching never to invest on something you hear about in the news, yet I can not for the life of me find out about any stocks except for the news! Is there any way that people have come across to find stocks? In a perfect world i could go to a website that literally lets me click on a sector of the market and allow me to browse all the stocks in that sector? Can anyone help a rookie out!

-Drew

Last edited by bigeddy15; 10-06-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Needed more text
Old 10-06-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeddy15 View Post
Hey guys. I recently opened up an online stock trading account and purchased my first set of stocks. I am a complete rookie to the stock market but have been investing in mutual funds for the past 4 years. I always read about great investors preaching never to invest on something you hear about in the news, yet I can not for the life of me find out about any stocks except for the news! Is there any way that people have come across to find stocks? In a perfect world i could go to a website that literally lets me click on a sector of the market and allow me to browse all the stocks in that sector? Can anyone help a rookie out!

-Drew
The vast majority of public companies have web sites where they allow for the download of their financial statements.

Why somebody would invest in a stock before reading the financial statements - I have no idea, unless they have money to burn.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:34 PM

I understand and have personally viewed the financial statements released by the companies that I have personally invested in. Although that being said, how is the average joe supposed to understand what the statements say and the difference between a good statement and bad one. My question still remains unanswered though. How can I find out about these companies!?
Old 10-07-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeddy15 View Post
I understand and have personally viewed the financial statements released by the companies that I have personally invested in. Although that being said, how is the average joe supposed to understand what the statements say and the difference between a good statement and bad one. My question still remains unanswered though. How can I find out about these companies!?
Search for a stock screening application.

With regards to understanding financial statements - book stores have books entitled, "The Interpretation of Financial Statements".

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...ements&x=0&y=0

Books are great.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:27 PM

There are many investments newsletters following equities, that can give you ideas what to invest in. The trick is to find the good ones .